Thursday, September 3, 2015

Drying Out Your Leathers After a Rainy Ride

.
What happened here?  

I've fallen, and I can't get up!
This doesn't look good at all.

But don't worry.  That's not Bucky lying on the floor.  Just his suit.  


A couple of weeks ago, I went to a place called Fields of the Wood, and got caught in a rainstorm that soaked my white leather suit pretty well.

I rode about an hour and a half after the rain stopped, so it dried to some extent, but I wanted to make sure it was thoroughly dry before storing it for my next ride.

So, I laid it out on the floor with the neck over the air conditioning register, the sleeves and legs as straight as I could make them, and let the cool, dry air blow through it for a couple of hours.  Don't do this during the heating season, or your leather is likely to come out like cardboard. 

Cool
Then I hung it on a padded hanger like this one I made out of a pool noodle and a plastic hanger... 


 

...and let it dry the rest of the way, with an electric circulating fan blowing on it so it dried faster.  . 


Even better -- don't get your riding togs wet in the first place. 

Duh.  Why didn't I think of that? 


You could either ride when it is not supposed to rain...

...or invest in a rainsuit -- and remember to take it with you when you ride. 

On my behalf, I thought I was going to avoid the rain that day, but it rained anyway.  I have a rainsuit, but I usually don't pack it because it is rather bulky in the tank bag.

[Well, don't whine about getting your suit wet then, Bucky.] 

OK.  I'll do better.  I promise. 


By the way:

If you have gotten your leather suit wet, and it's pretty dirty, you might consider going ahead and cleaning it yourself.  Yes, you can do it yourself, right in your own home. 
.
.
.

No comments: